This weeks Topic
Fall vs Autumn
What do you call it? Is it fall or is it Autumn?
Me, I intermingle the two. Neither of them really sound right to me. I feel if I call it Fall, I'm being laid back, and not educated enough. However, when I say Autumn, I feel like maybe I'm being a bit snooty.
Can't we find some inbetween name to call this beautiful season? I'm thinking something like Fling...Ya know because we have Winter and Summer, we should have Spring and Fling.
Ok maybe not. That sounds a bit funny. So here is what I learned on my quest to figure out why the two names for one season.
- It was originally called Harvest, because it is when the crops are harvested.
- Around the 16th and 17th centuries, more people began living in cities, so Harvest had less meaning
- Fall possibly came from the middle english term "Fall of the Leaf"
- Autumn came from the Latin term autumnus
- Both Fall and Autumn have origins meaning to fall from a great height.
So basically, our neighbors across the pond like to use their high class Autumn, while us colonizers over here were just content with the simple Fall.
So all this to tell you how much I love this season! Fall, Autumn, or Harvest - whatever you call it, is the best season of the year! It's this time of year, I dearly miss my beloved New England. The trees out here in the west just don't compare. I won't complain too much though. We still get the perfect chill in the air here. Allowing for the season change to bring a change not only outside, but inside the home as well. Blankets are pulled out, fireplaces prepped, and comfort foods planned.
As some take the time to slow down in the spring and smell the flowers, I'm inviting you to slow down and get cozy around your front room with your family.
PS I'm totally going to start calling it Harvest now, because I live in a small farming town, and Harvest has meaning here!
Next Week's Topic
As a Child, What was one of your biggest Fears?
The ground rules:
- No Giveaways or reviews please, we want to stick to our topic or whatever thought provoking topic you have decided on your own. We want to get to know you personally not what you like or give out right?
- Make sure that you follow all the hosts via GFC and/or Facebook! (Mumfection, Home Maid Simple)
- Only thought provoking posts, which is why we always have a great topic for you prepared in case you are just having a blank day.
- Make sure your post has our Think About it Thursday
- Have fun, make some friends, follow, comment thoughtfully and above all else be respectful! Don't forget to let people know which hop your visiting from!
- Suggest a topic, this is not mandatory, but we would love your input and we will definitely consider it for future meme's!! If your topic is chosen you could end up receiving an e-mail giving you a chance to be one of the co-host's!!!