We may earn money from the companies or products mentioned in this post.
So we’re lying in bed one night, and Mark turns to me, and says “Taco Salad”.
That’s all it took. I had recently gone shopping and filled our vegetable drawer to overflowing, so I had everything on hand for the salad. I just needed to figure out the tortilla bowls.
I thought about going out and purchasing some premade bowls, or seeing if I could just bake the premade flour tortillas into a bowl shape, but why make it easy? I decided to pull out an old favorite for homemade tortillas, but instead of frying them on the stove, to bake them over a bowl in the oven.
Yum! Besides being extremely simple, the kids loved the tortilla bowls, and I think managed to eat some vegetables with their dinner. I debated putting radishes in since it’s not something you find in a normal taco salad, but I couldn’t resist their pretty red color.
- 1 batch of dough for home made flour tortillas - http://bit.ly/1Q9ymXP
- 1/2 cup iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 cup Romaine Lettuce, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 radish, sliced and quartered
- 1 TBS chopped olives
- 2 TBS Black Beans
- Dressing of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Roll out the dough, and drape across an overturned, oven-safe bowl** sprayed lightly with cooking spray.
- Pinch around the edges to make some nice creases in your shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Prep your vegetable while the bowls are baking.
- When removing the shells from the bowl, gently slide a knife between the shell and the bowl to loosen, and then carefully flip it off.
- Toss ingredients gently together inside shell.
- Drizzle with your favorite dressing*** and enjoy.
- *Will make up to 12 shells. Salad ingredients are for one salad.
- **I used an overturned muffin tin and draped it across 4 muffin wells.
- ***In the photo's I was using Poppyseed dressing, but I also enjoy this with Kraft's Sun dried Tomato Dressing. Absolutely delicious no matter your preference. My kids preferred ranch. If you're looking for more of a traditional taco flavor, toss it with a scoop of sour cream, and leave off the dressing
10 thoughts on “Taco Salad in Home Made Tortilla Bowls”
Poppyseed dressing makes everything tast delish. This is definitely going in the receipe box.
I have never tried poppyseed dressing. Good for you making your own bowls.
Yes! To all of this! I love homemade tortillas.. and homemade tortilla bowls may be even better. YUM!
Love this. I think kids love to have their own special tortilla bowl. Thanks for sharing!
This is definitely something that I could see my family enjoying. Thanks for sharing. I am Pinning.
Dropped by from the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party, & following you on social media http://www.okcmomof3.com
Poppyseed dressing is definitely new to me but it sounds promising!
I LOVE this salad, I'm a vegetarian and could eat it very day
It's also a great way to serve salads in parties – in these tortillas bowls 🙂
I LOVE this idea for homemade taco bowls! Thanks for linking up to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party. I have pinned your post to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Board.
Thanks for linking up with the Tasty Tuesday's Link-up. I have pinned your post to the Tasty's Tuesday's Pinterest Board!
This is my favorite dish to order when we go out. I love pulling apart and eating the bowl with the salad. Can't wait to make this myself.
This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing.