We may earn money from the companies or products mentioned in this post.
Searching for the perfect dessert for your lunch or dinner party? Our delightful Coconut Poke Cake is here to save the day.
If you’re not sure what a poke cake is, it is, quite literally, a cake you poke holes into. Once you do this, you can pour in any filling of your choice. It can be a chocolate sauce, strawberry cream, or simply condensed milk. This step won’t take more than 5 minutes and it guarantees that every bite will be rich with flavor.
Sounds good, right? Here’s what you’ll need for Coconut Poke Cake:
- 3 eggs
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 50 g melted dark chocolate
- 125 g butter (room temperature)
- 150 g brown sugar
- 130 g all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 40 g desiccated coconut
- 400 ml sweetened condensed milk
- 50 g butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 350 g cream cheese
- 50 g butter
- 50 ml maple syrup
- 5 tbsp of thick coconut milk
- 30 g desiccated coconut
- Roasted coconut to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius (400 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Begin with the cake base. Crack the eggs into a bowl and mix in the coconut milk, dark chocolate, butter, and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and desiccated coconut.
- Combine the dry ingredient mixture with the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Bake for around 20-30 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on it, especially after the 20-minute mark. To check if done, perform the toothpick test.
- Poke holes all over the cake using a straw.
- Prepare the caramel filling. In a pan, heat the butter and wait for it to melt. Once melted, pour in the condensed milk.
- Over medium heat, let it simmer for approximately 15 minutes. Keep stirring until it thickens and resembles the golden brown color of caramel.
- Turn the heat off and slowly pour the caramel into the holes. Set the cake aside to cool for about an hour.
- Prepare the cream cheese. In a bowl, combine all the cream cheese ingredients and keep in the fridge to cool for half an hour.
- Slather the cream cheese generously over the cake.
- Garnish the cake with roasted golden coconut bits.
- Cut out a slice and enjoy!