We may earn money from the companies or products mentioned in this post.
The first year I planted a large garden, I wasn’t sure how much I could get to grow. So I planted 6 zucchini plants, and they all grew and produced. We ate zucchini in one form or another every week for the rest of the year. This Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread was one of the good recipes that came from that gardening mistake. This post contains affiliate links. I will receive compensation when you click through and make a purchase.
My sister in law had given me her recipe about a month ago, so I was going to use that. It seems to be common though for me to misplace written recipes. I seriously need a better system! So I started going through my cookbooks, and then thought to myself – it can’t be much different than Banana Bread, right?
That’s when I pulled out my mom’s Banana Bread recipe and decided to make a few alterations – like adding some cocoa – and created a Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread.
I love quick breads like this one. They’re pretty easy to change up to your preference without messing it up. Since this recipe makes 2 loaves, I like to garnish the top of one loaf with some chopped walnuts. It adds that extra bit of goodness but leaves one loaf nut free for those friends and family members who prefer it that way.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Add more veggies to your diet with this zucchini bread - just don't forget the chocolate too!
- 1 1/4 cup Zucchini, shredded - about 1 medium zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1/2 cup Shortening
- 4 eggs
- 4 TBS Cocoa Powder
- 4 Cups Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Chopped Walnuts (optional)
- Preheat Oven to 300° F
- In a large bowl combine zucchini, sugar, shortening, eggs, and cocoa.
- In a small mixing bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Combine well.
- Spray 2 loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Separate and spread batter into the pans.
- Optional - top with crushed walnuts.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Add walnuts to one zucchini loaf and please both nut lovers and non.
Home Maid Simple https://www.homemaidsimple.com/
Of course, not everyone enjoys chocolate in their bread. I have my days where I prefer a healthier zucchini bread too. If that’s you try this Zucchini Bread recipe.
What’s your favorite way to eat Zucchini?