We may earn money from the companies or products mentioned in this post.
Chocolate peanut butter cookies filled with peanut butter create Peanut Butter Munchies.
A Peanut Allergy
Guess what!! A couple weeks ago I took Lincoln in to the allergist to do an oral challenge with Peanut Butter. He had been diagnosed a year ago as having a peanut allergy, along with a few other food allergies.
As far as we knew though, he had never reacted to peanuts, but just had a strong aversion to them. So when his most recent tests came back inconclusive, the only way to know for sure was to feed him peanuts.
This is of course done in a controlled environment, at the allergists office, so that were he to have a reaction, immediate care could be given. Lucky for us, we walked out about 3.5 hours later knowing he can eat peanuts just fine – even if he doesn’t actually like them.
The kicker to this new diagnosis (or is it an undiagnosis?) is that he should now eat peanuts a few times a week to keep the peanut allergy from coming back. Unfortunately, he still really does not like peanuts.
Trying out Peanut Butter
I came across this recipe for Peanut Butter Munchies in the blog archives, and thought just maybe I could tempt him with a chocolate cookie that happens to have peanut butter in it. The trick almost worked. He took a bite or two, then looked at me and asked what else was in it. I asked him if he liked it. He said he sort of liked it. So I encouraged him to eat the whole thing before telling him what was inside.
However, I have 4 other kids, and most can’t hold their tongues. When he again asked me what was inside, his sister chimed in “It’s peanut butter! Isn’t it great!” That was the end of that cookie. He refused to eat the rest of it, claiming he never actually liked it. Awe well, a bite or two is still something, and will hopefully keep any peanut allergy from returning.
In the process, you all get to benefit from prettier pictures of the cookies and a more accessible recipe card! I hope you enjoy these as much as the rest of my family did. The original recipe source is unknown as I had this written down in an old recipe collection. Although, it was copied wrong, so this is my personal take on the original.
Peanut Butter Munchies
Print RecipePeanut Butter Munchies Yum
Delicious chocolate peanut butter cookie with a peanut butter filling
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||10 minutes|
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and 1/4 cup Peanut Butter.
- Add egg, milk, and vanilla. Beat well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and mix well.
- Form dough into balls approximately 1 1/4" in diameter. Place on a cookie sheet, and set aside.
- Combine powdered sugar and 1/2 cup peanut butter. Shape into approximately 3/4" balls.
- Flatten the chocolate balls, place peanut butter ball inside, and fold chocolate ball around it.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten the cookies, and sprinkle with some vanilla sugar for an extra dash of yum.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Allow to cool for 1 minute, and then remove from pan to a cooling rack. Enjoy!
Share this Recipe
6 thoughts on “Peanut Butter Munchies Cookie Recipe”
You sound like an old Italian grandma up late canning tomatoes. I love your cookies my son is a peanut butter junkie.
These PB cookies look fantastic! Thank you for hosting a great party!
Delicious! Anything with peanut butter is a winner to me!
Okay the next time I do something bad – like buying 5 Disney Princess costumes at once and trying to rationalize to my husband that they are "holiday gifts" for our daughter I will make these cookies! They sound AMAZING!
This looks simply delicious!
Jerky fried rice?! How exactly did you get so brilliant?! This would be the easiest travel meal lever. Can you tell I’m hangry on a plane?