We may earn money from the companies or products mentioned in this post.
To make the trifle, start by preheating your oven to 350 F. Mix up the cake mix according to the Pillsbury directions – only leave out the oil! Exchange the oil straight across for some Mott’s® Original Applesauce – 1 to 1 ratio here.
Pour the cake mix into a 9×13 pan (or larger), and bake for 30 minutes. The larger the pan, the thinner the cake, and better it lays in the trifle.
While the cake is baking, get the cream part of the trifle ready. One thing we all agree on, is cream cheese icing. I had been looking for Snapple® Fall Spice, but couldn’t find any, so grabbed my favorite Snapple® Apple instead to give a little more apple flavor to the trifle. Opening the Snapple® was like transporting me straight to the apple farms.
Whip those all up, then set it aside while you wait for the cake! I was in a bit of a hurry, because who isn’t in the fall? So rather than waiting for the cake to cool on it’s own, I tossed it in the freezer for about 10 minutes. The cake cooled enough to cut and start layering on the trifle.
Star the trifle with a layer of Snapple® infused Pillsbury™ icing. Next add a layer of cake. Follow it by more icing. Then add a layer of M&M’s® Pecan Pie and chopped pecans. You could also add a layer of chopped apples here, which I fully intended to do…but when I went to grab them there was one lone apple sitting in my bowl. Whoops! At least I know someone’s making good snack choices.
Continue layering until the bowl is full. I got 3 layers of cake in my bowl. Top off the trifle with the last of the Pillsbury™ icing, and a good heaping display of M&M’s® Pecan Pie – the real star of this dessert.
- 2 9.9oz packages M&M's® Pecan Pie
- 1 box Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme® cake mix
- 1/4 cup Mott's® Applesauce original
- 3 eggs I used brown solely because they look more fall-ish
- 1 cup water
- 2 16oz tubs Pillsbury™ Creamy Supreme® Cream Cheese icing
- 5 TBS Snapple® Apple
- chopped pecans optional
- chopped apples optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix cake mix, applesauce, water, and eggs. Pour into 9x13 pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Whip icing and juice together. Set aside.
- Cool cake completely. Cut into 1/2 - 1 inch squares.
- In the bottom of a large bowl, layer icing, cake, then icing again. Add M&M's®, pecans and apples. Layer more cake, icing, then M&M's® pecans and apples again. Continue until bowl is full.
- Top trifle with a final layer of icing, a heaping handful of M&M's®, apple slices, and pecans.
- Enjoy with company.
16 thoughts on “Pecan Apple Trifle + KitchenAid Sweepstakes”
These Pecan Pie M&M's look so good! Thanks for sharing this recipe!
I am a big fan of trifles!! I wanna win the mixer!!
trifles are always a winner never thought of doing one with apples but makes so much sense =)
Yum – that looks delicious. I haven't had a trifles in ages.
I need to find those M&Ms in our local store as they sound fabulous for fall baking. And, I could see this trifle disappearing quickly at my house!
Wow that looks so easy to make and delicious. I have to try to make that this season. Thank you.
This looks incredibly delicious!
This looks incredibly delicious!
I haven's heard of those M&Ms before! Yum!
This looks delicious! And I agree, when I open a bottle of Snapple® Apple, the amazing smell sends me right to the orchards! #client
Oh this looks oh so yummy! Delicious 🙂
I NEED those M&Ms!
Looks like a delicious recipe! Great way to mix the apples and the pecans!
Oh my gosh what a rich Fall dessert!
I FINALLY found Pecan Pie M&Ms on the shelf tonight! Now I know exactly what to do with the second bag I haven't eaten yet!