We may earn money from the companies or products mentioned in this post.
To make the trifle, start by preheating your oven to 350 F. Mix up the cake mix according to the Pillsbury directions – only leave out the oil! Exchange the oil straight across for some Mott’s® Original Applesauce – 1 to 1 ratio here.
Pour the cake mix into a 9×13 pan (or larger), and bake for 30 minutes. The larger the pan, the thinner the cake, and better it lays in the trifle.
While the cake is baking, get the cream part of the trifle ready. One thing we all agree on, is cream cheese icing. I had been looking for Snapple® Fall Spice, but couldn’t find any, so grabbed my favorite Snapple® Apple instead to give a little more apple flavor to the trifle. Opening the Snapple® was like transporting me straight to the apple farms.
Whip those all up, then set it aside while you wait for the cake! I was in a bit of a hurry, because who isn’t in the fall? So rather than waiting for the cake to cool on it’s own, I tossed it in the freezer for about 10 minutes. The cake cooled enough to cut and start layering on the trifle.
Star the trifle with a layer of Snapple® infused Pillsbury™ icing. Next add a layer of cake. Follow it by more icing. Then add a layer of M&M’s® Pecan Pie and chopped pecans. You could also add a layer of chopped apples here, which I fully intended to do…but when I went to grab them there was one lone apple sitting in my bowl. Whoops! At least I know someone’s making good snack choices.
Continue layering until the bowl is full. I got 3 layers of cake in my bowl. Top off the trifle with the last of the Pillsbury™ icing, and a good heaping display of M&M’s® Pecan Pie – the real star of this dessert.
- 2 9.9oz packages M&M's® Pecan Pie
- 1 box Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme® cake mix
- 1/4 cup Mott's® Applesauce original
- 3 eggs I used brown solely because they look more fall-ish
- 1 cup water
- 2 16oz tubs Pillsbury™ Creamy Supreme® Cream Cheese icing
- 5 TBS Snapple® Apple
- chopped pecans optional
- chopped apples optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix cake mix, applesauce, water, and eggs. Pour into 9x13 pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Whip icing and juice together. Set aside.
- Cool cake completely. Cut into 1/2 - 1 inch squares.
- In the bottom of a large bowl, layer icing, cake, then icing again. Add M&M's®, pecans and apples. Layer more cake, icing, then M&M's® pecans and apples again. Continue until bowl is full.
- Top trifle with a final layer of icing, a heaping handful of M&M's®, apple slices, and pecans.
- Enjoy with company.